Saturday, October 06, 2007

I've got something to write on

A play on my last blog "I've got nothing to write on?" (which you should read before this one).

Okay, so I just finished writing about my spending spree. I justified it by saying that I've made a decision to accept that the path I've chosen has a certain set of expenses. FYI, my justifications are: USB hub - because I use a laptop and am always plugging in and unplugging 3-5 USB cables as I take it to and from home. External hard drive - because I have accumulated a large amount of seemingly irreplacable work through school and research, and that amount is only going to increase, so it seemed wise to keep a back up of it in case my computer was stolen or crashed. Cell phone - because I moved to a slightly rougher neighborhood a little farther from home, so walking is less feasible, traveling at night is less desirable, but I still have held off from getting a car, so getting in touch with others to coordinate rides is more necessary; also because my schedule is busy enough and dynamic enough that I need something to maintain it, and I'm going to start to need to be accessible to clients. All fine and justifiable reasons right? Not arguing.

But I have something to write about because I'm reading this book "The Irresistable Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical" (Shane Claiborne). You've just got to read it. This chapter is called Economics of Rebirth. Claiborne is someone who takes seriously lifestyle choices in relationship to the gospel of Jesus and the plight of the poor. So as I'm reading it, I just can't help but think that somehow, I've got to come up with a better reconciliation for the way I live my with respect to my spending habits. Because I'm not extravagent, just the opposite. But it doesn't necessarily mean that I'm generous either. I saved a lot of money this past year through simple living means, and obviously some of the above mentioned choices means I'll be living less simply. But I didn't ever calculate just how much I'm saving and then turn around and give it elsewhere. And I didn't love any differently - giving all you have away means nothing if it doesn't originate out of love. I guess if I think about it, he'd still say that my problem is that I don't know any poor people. I mean, I know lots of poor people, all my friends are students. But they're not poor in the same way, because they still have the opportunity for loans and to live in houses. So anyways, I don't know what I'm supposed to do about it. Like I said, read the book. It's great. But I'm not great 'cause I haven't lived very differently since I started reading.

A few of the quotes which have jumped out at me in the last 20 min of reading:

(Speaking on the problem with simply doing a social works program) "When the church becomes a place of brokerage rather than an organic community, she ceases to be alive. She ceases to be something we are, the living bride of Christ. The church becomes a distribution center, a place where the poor come to get stuff and the rich come to dump stuff. Both go away satisfied (the rich feel good, the poor get clothed and fed), but no one leaves transformed." (p. 159)

(Upon responding to those who use the scripture "The poor will always be with you" [Matt 26:11/Mark 14:11] to justify not acting to directly meet the needs of the poor) "I usually generally ask, 'Where are the poor? Are the poor among us?' The answer is usually a clear negatory." (p. 160)

(Gandhi upon being asked if he is a Christian) "Ask the poor. They will tell you who the Christians are." (p. 161).

Anything out of context like that can't fully do justice. But they're still good on their own.

No comments: